This is the same engine that Ford once used in its NASCAR racing program. This 1968 GT-E is 1 of 1 that was equipped with an AM/FM Stereo Radio. In 1967 the cougar won Motor Trend's Car of the year award. This car is also featured on the cover of Mustangs Unlimited 67-73 Cougar performance, restoration and accessory parts catalog in 2009.
The mileage on the dash only reads 69,079 miles. Most of the interior has been upgraded to XR7. Some of the pictures show the old XR7 hood scoop. The hood scoop has been updated to the correct closed hood scoop. The upgrades that have been done to this car make it very unique and rare. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the GT-E option package was $1,311.00.
The GT-E package includes:
- Cougar 427E V-8 (4V) engine rated at 390 horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 460 ft.lb of torque @ 3200 RPM.
- C6 Select-shift Merc-O-Matic three speed automatic transmission
- Super Competition Handling Package (heavier duty springs, larger diameter stabilizer (sway bar) and Heavy duty shock absorbers with stiffer front and rear spring rates.
- Power front disc and rear drum brakes
- Power steering
- Power booster engine fan
- 7.0 Litre GT-E badges on front fenders
- Quad chrome exhaust pipe outlet tips
- Styled steel wheels
- Unique front grille with blacked-out vertical bars, and horizontal bright trim bar
- Power-dome hood with simulated air intakes.
- Unique 2-Tone paint
- Unique body side moldings with silver gray argent below the molding.
- Bright engine dress-up kit, including chrome rocker covers, oil filler cap, dip stick, radiator cap, and air cleaner housing.
By Donald Robichaud